Hiya, folks! My name is Danielle. I have been wanting to start this blog for a very long time. Here’s the deal. I have worked as a chef or worked towards being a chef for over 20 years. I have wanted to find a way to share my food knowledge with people for a while, but now I also want to share my new beginnings as a culinary instructor. I would love to start offering low cost lessons to small groups of people. As of now, I have been giving free, intermittent cooking and baking lessons to the young people at my church – I have so much fun doing this! Besides being a fantastic way for me to gain teaching experience, it’s also a great way for me to serve my church community. Eventually, I will charge my local community for lessons, but right now, I’m doing it for free to get some teaching knowledge under my belt. You’ll also see fun pictures of teaching sessions I’m giving. Also, I am hoping my interest in writing will overlap with the cooking to possibly manifest in some food writing opportunities. I would be really happy if this became a reality!
I’ve also wanted to blog about other interests of mine, but I was overwhelmed by the idea of operating several blogs. So, I decided to combine them all and keep them in one place. This blog is first and foremost for food-related posts, but I will also write about other interests:
- I have been a writer and musician (on and off) since I was a child. I will post writings here (this will cover a gamut of topics), as well as a song here and there. I used to write a lot of fiction and poetry, but now I seem to be parked in a nonfiction space in life. I guess I need to write about reality; a subject I know all too well.
- I’m also a complete and total photography novice (That is, if you don’t count the multitudes of iPhone photos I took as practice shots!). I’m really excited about a new camera my amazing husband bought me for my birthday! I’ll be posting photos I think are “okay-enough” to be made public, usually with a request for pointers from anyone who knows how to take a good picture. I’m here to learn, folks!
- I’ve been knitting since 2009, and I’m somewhere in the intermediate area, although I still have a lot to learn, and I seem to pick up a different technique every time I start a new project. Cool stuff!
- I’m a music lover /former LP collector /former obsessed concert goer. I used to write serious tunes, but nowadays, I find myself writing silly songs and parodies. That’s what middle-age has done to me: I’ve reverted to my twelve-year-old-self. This stuff just pops into my head, and I can’t do anything but write it down. I’ll eventually – and very slowly – be recording these tunes. I apologize in advance for the sheer ridiculousness!
- I started work as a substitute teacher in 2015. I’ve already learned a lot – kind of a trial-by-fire thing. So far, my favorite grade to sub is fifth; but I haven’t gotten to middle school or high school yet due to scheduling difficulties. I have a feeling I’m going to love sixth and seventh grades, too!
- Lover of all things British: Footy (that’s British soccer for all the yanks. Wait…I’m a yank! Ah, but I’m married to a guy with Brit blood.). BBC. Pub food. Afternoon teas. England weather – divine!
- Friends /community. I’m really excited about this one! I have a lot of crazy-talented friends, and I’ll be sharing their genius in whatever capacity that may manifest. Don’t be surprised if I hit you up for a guest spot, complete with an interview and some picture takin’ with my new-fangled camera!
- I’ll have a page for reviews:
- I’m a lover of literature. I’m currently sulking about too many books, not enough time! Occasionally, I’ll write a review.
- I like staying hip on the newest places to eat. It’s research, man.
- Music, music, music! Give me all the music!
- I’m a scanner. If you don’t know what that is, don’t worry. I wrote a piece on it, and I’ll be posting it shortly.
I hope you enjoy reading my entries as much as I enjoy posting them! Feel free to give me feedback, and please add your email address to follow my blog and get email notifications. I promise I won’t bombard you!